Saturday 12 November 2011

The Glamour Never Stops + New Patterns!


As if this week didn't have enough excitement, I was thrilled to attend the BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook book launch event on Thursday night and, trust me, that sombrero was their idea and don't even mention the scissors.

I hope to write more about the Burda book in the future because it looks terrific, despite my not having contributed a project for it.  Cat-loving, peanut-butter-and-honey-sandwich-eating Gertie is in the book, however, and wouldn't you know she was at the book launch too, accompanied by handsome, hirsute husband Jeff.  I treated her with my usual warmth, overlooking the sharp comment she'd left on my blog that very day (Thursday) about men's patterns.  Gertie looked lovely in a lustrous silk and cotton blend polka-dotted dress and coordinating pink cardigan.

She really needs to start sewing for Jeff, however, because he looks -- don't hate me -- almost bland in comparison to her.  If she begs I might just send a few men's patterns her way (since in her opinion there's such an abundance of them out there).  Wait: maybe I should sew something for Jeff...we can do a photo shoot!

But let's move on.

I'm just back from the Chelsea flea market, where one of the sellers had two boxes full of vintage Sixties and Seventies patterns, many in Cathy's size or the size above.  This is not my favorite period, though initially I thought I'd just buy the whole lot.  After digging through them, however, I realized that they were really not all that, and instead chose a few I liked and left the rest.  A buck apiece.

Who doesn't love an early-Seventies take on the turban.  So Biba.



I think this 1969-ish Vogue Americana would be perfect for Dr. Lorna Gallo, the character I play in Noah's Very Unusual Insight.  The dropped waistline is very flattering on a certain kind of woman -- flat-chested, no hips -- and Dr. Lorna is just that kind.  Time to dig out the poly crepe!



This simple suit from 1967 is fetching in that matchy-matchy Jackie O way I love.  Perfect for cocktails in town.



Finally, I chose these two McCall's.   On the left is a pattern for a ruffled "fill-in" (akin to a halter top), ascot, and matching bib and cuffs.  On the right, a stretch jumpsuit, which is right for so many occasions.  I find the idea of a ruffled "fill-in" mildly hilarious, and I would like a matching bib and cuffs for myself, frankly.



Friends, that's it.  I am going to finish my 1944 jumper today come hell or high water.   I'm nearly done with the skirt, which I then have to attach to the top.  How does one get into a jumper, btw?



Here's a question:  you have to match two pieces of plaid, both of which are folded under approximately 7 inches.  So the seam (which will form the center of a skirt with a box pleat) is going to have a 7" seam allowance.  What is the best way to match the plaid?  I actually used tape so the layers wouldn't shift under my sewing machine, but it didn't feel like the ideal technique.  I guess in an ideal world I'd have hand-basted.  Any other ideas?

Finally, do you think partners of glamorous people have a duty to be glamorous too?  Whatever happened to the days of Ty and Lana?


Have a great weekend, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment