Monday 21 November 2011

Name That Notion!



Friends, this weekend at the Chelsea flea market I was delighted to stumble upon a big bag full of vintage notions and a trunk stuffed with vintage cotton fabric.  As you can guess, I couldn't resist.

First, the fabric:

I just love these old cotton prints and each piece is at least 5-6 yards long, if not more, at $4 apiece.  I plan to launder them later today.



These two are my absolute favorites:





The bag of notions I bought is primarily kits to make cloth-covered buttons and buckles.  I've never done that before and am excited to try.





But there were a few things I couldn't identify, and I knew I would have to draw on your collective expertise.  I thought it might be fun to turn this into a game/contest, so I've added a few additional "mystery" items just for fun.  Wanna play?

1)  You may have seen one of these before, or something very much like it.  This one was manufactured by Dritz.



Two questions:  a) How does it work, and b) Why is the first visible number at the bottom an "8"?

2. What is this black stuff called and what purpose does it serve?



3. What is this white thingamajig and what is it for?



4. These copper colored items are also stamped "Dritz."  What are they?  (I honestly don't know so if you're persuasive, you may be able to invent something and make the rest of us believe it.)



The winner shall receive...oh, I don't know...how about either a vintage Prims "Cover-your-own" buckle, or "Cover-your-own" buttons kit?  I'll announce the winner tomorrow and I'm willing to mail it anywhere.

Ready to play?  The first person who gets all four questions right is the winner.

On your mark, get set....NAME THAT NOTION!

Good luck, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment