Wednesday 2 November 2011

Cathy's New Hairdo -- Yea or Nay?


Friends, I believe, when choosing between two paths, always to choose the one that really excites you in the moment.  Hence, yesterday, I put aside my two yards of polka dot poly charmeuse (more about that later) and made a beeline for Wigs & Plus at 152 West 32nd St.  Kind of has a nice ring to it, don't you think, Wigs & Plus

The consensus, building over many, many months, was that Cathy needed a new hairdo: something softer, longer, and in a somewhat lighter shade.  But she couldn't lose her essential Cathy-ness.  It was a very difficult challenge, perhaps equal to sewing a poly charmeuse blouse.  No, definitely harder.

You, beloved readers, have been more than generous.  Laura offered to send me a red wig she has tucked away somewhere.  Sadly, red is the one color that makes Cathy's rosacea "pop" in photos.  Semi-retired wig stylist Richard suggested something slightly tousled, with more volume.  Sandy was even kind enough to send me a link to this beautiful portrait of sultry Gina Lollabrigida. 



From among the hundreds of wigs at Wigs & Plus, I found one I thought had possibilities.   Cathy and I took some test shots and I'd like to share them with you.  No makeup here, just a little lipstick, faux fur, and a lot of attitude.  Very spontaneous.  

Before:



After:







Yes?  No?  Maybe?

By the way, for those who wish to emulate Cathy's new look, it's Soul Tress "Perry," designed by James Lee (fancy!), and has copper highlights.    

Meanwhile, in poly-charmeuse-blouse land, I'm having second thoughts.  I fear the charmeuse is too heavy and, frankly, too cheap looking for the 1944 outfit project.  I especially don't like the way darts and tucks photograph in charmeuse.  Then again, most of it will be hidden under a jumper.



I may follow Stashdragon's advice, put it aside and opt for a more somber, historically accurate solid in a natural fiber rather than synthetic.  We'll see.

But back to synthetic hair.

In your opinion, does Cathy's hair conjure up any specific period or person more than others?  Ava Gardner?  Loretta Young?  Gladys Kravitz from Bewitched?


It does give off a somewhat late Fifties/early Sixties vibe to me.  Not sure how it will work with earlier periods, but hey, there's always hats, turbans, and snoods!

Cathy's new hairdo -- yea or nay?

More Cathy wig portraits below.

No comments:

Post a Comment